1954 Mercury Monterey Convertible
1954 Mercury Monterey Convertible found its way to me from the Ramshead Collection Museum located in Sacramento, CA. A few years back it was the Ramshead Collection 'Car-of-the-Month'. The Ramshead Collection is a private Museum in Sacramento designed by Sherman Warren. After a complete mechanical rebuild and an original repaint and re-chrome of all the trim this car was displayed in the Museum. This car remains listed in the Ramshead Collection web site under View the Collection-Gone But Not Forgotten sub title. The California Black Plate remains on the car. I was unable to trace the plate back to the original owner but it appears that we were the second private owner of the car. It came to us in beautiful condition with not a trace of rust or previous damage history. A true Museum Piece of automobile history.
Have removed the under powered 256ci, 161hp for a new 1957 Ford Thunderbird 312 CI, which delivers 278.5 HP at 5500 rpm as Dyno tested on pump gas at Wheeler Dyno Service (Test papers available) This adds 117.5 HP or a 73% gain in power. The 312 CI engine fits nicely in the same motor mounts as the 256 CI. The engine and has been recently totally rebuilt by Headquarters Machine and Restoration. We added a new chrome Edelbrock 4 barrel carburetor and a John Mummert Intake manifold. This Mercury Monterrey Convertible is a very rare American Classic only 7293 were produced and this is the 2880th car built in Los Angeles. This car has an in-dash clock (resists keeping time in spite of two new quartz replacements), a working original push button radio, a working heater and defroster-ventilator controlled by air craft style levers. The fuel, amps, temperature and oil pressure gauges and 110 mph speedometer all work well. The in-dash instruments are nicely illuminated by a rheostat knob. Turn signals are operative.
This Mercury Monterey Convertible has.-
- Brand New Viking Performance Front Power Disc brakes & Viking Performance Coilover front Shocks,
- Rebuilt Power Assisted Master Cylinder,
- Brand New rear Shocks,
- Power Steering,
- Power Seats (all brand new motors),
- Power Windows (new or rebuilt regulators),
- Brand New Power Convertible Top,
- Brand New Convertible Top Motor,
- Original working Push-Button Radio,
- Brand New Diamond rear Radials - Front 215 x 75 x R15 DB II 3.25" extra wide Whitewalls with DB Beauty Bars Rear 235 x 75 x R15 DB II 3.75" extra wide Whitewalls with DB Beauty Bars rear (purchased 1st July, 2018),
- Classic Mercury Monterey full Wheel Covers,
- Recent overhaul of the Mercomatic Transmission,
- Brand New Edelbrock Chrome 4-Barrel Carburetor,
- PerTronix Electronic Ignition System & Flame Thrower Coil,
- Thunderbird Valve Covers & Timing Covers Polished CAD Intake Manifold (John Mummert),
- Installed Brand New Red German Velour Carpet & Pad (adjusted Snaps-on Convertible Boot),
- All Brand New Exhaust system (brand new Speedometer cable),
- All the 1954 restoration invoice files are available for inspection,
As new - finest quality.
Delightful highway driving as well as in town street driving the car seems like its on rails. It is common to have several verbal admirers daily who often come up with "...it is the most beautiful car I've ever seen!" Most take pictures of the car and ask me to take photos of them with the car - often sitting in the drivers position.
She drives straight and smooth. It is a genuine pleasure to drive. This 1954 Mercury Monterey Convertible can dual as a Trophy Pulling Show car or a daily driver. It is indeed a genuine joy to drive and it acquits itself well in town or highway driving. All the restoration invoices are available for your inspection.
A must see American Classic and everything within works well.
Currently located in Minnetonka, MN.
Serious inquiries only.
Stock Number C202045L.
Financing, Nationwide Shipping and Warranties available to qualified buyers.
Stock Number: C202045L1